Please see the below memo from Archbishop Hundt providing instructions in regards to the province returning to COVID-19 Alert Level 5. During this time we will be live streaming Sunday Mass and daily Mass (Tuesday – Friday) through our website beginning on February 14th.
Dear People of the Archdiocese of St. John’s:
Last night the Chief Medical Officer of Health announced that our province was returning to Alert Level 5. This Alert Level has broad sweeping public health measures to protect the population. These measures include staying at home as much as possible, except to get essentials like groceries and medications, the prohibition of gatherings of more than five people, the prohibition of funerals, wakes and visitations and the limiting of burials and weddings to a maximum of five people including the officiant.
Out of pastoral concern for the health and wellbeing of all our people and in keeping with these Public Health’s measures, I am hereby directing all the parishes in the Archdiocese to adhere to the following instructions:
1. The churches are to remain closed and all public liturgical celebrations, including Mass, are to be cancelled. (Where possible, parishes are encouraged to make Mass and spiritual devotions available to their parishioners through the internet and/or Facebook.)
(Please note: live-streamed Masses are celebrated daily at the Basilica and can be viewed at www.thebasilica.net and then clicking Live Stream.)
2. Burials and weddings may take place provided that:
a) No more than 5 people are present, including the officiant;
b) Safe distancing and facemask wearing protocols are adhered to;
c) A list of the names of those present is compiled for contact tracing purposes.
3. Diocesan and parish staff that can work from home should do so.
4. Access to diocesan and parish administrative buildings is to be limited to staff and those individuals conducting essential repairs and services (social distancing, facemask wearing,COVID self-assessment and contact tracing protocols all being properly followed).
5. All in person parish meetings are to be cancelled or held online;
6. All in person public meetings in parish facilities are to be cancelled or postponed until further notice.
Asking that you join with me in praying for serenity in dealing with our present situation, for courage in facing the challenges that confront us, for charity in reaching out to those who are in need and for steadfast faith in God’s goodness and love, I remain,
Yours in Christ,
Archbishop of St. John’s, Nfld.