Dear Monsignors and Fathers:
Yesterday, the Chief Medical Officer of Health announced that as of 12:01 a.m. Saturday March 27th all of the province would move to Alert Level 2. Please find attached with this Memo in pdf format a copy of the Public Advisory of March 24, 2021.
According to this Advisory, “formal gatherings” are limited to no more than 50 people. In addition, the Chief Medical Officer requested that masks be worn by congregants through out public worship services (except when receiving Communion, and lectors, cantors and the celebrant when ministering). Further information is found in the June 25, 2020 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s Covid-19 Parish Church and Pastoral Ministry Guidelines while operating under Alert Level 2.
With the above in mind and having consulted and received the advice of the COVID-19 Sub-committee of the Presbyteral Council, I ask that as 12:01 a.m. Saturday March 27th and until further notice, the parishes of the Archdiocese please adhere to the following instructions:
Diocesan and Parish Adminstrative Offices:
- Diocesan and parish staff that can work from home are encouraged to do so.
- As much as possible, parish meetings should be held online.
- All in person meetings must comply with present COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Churches may be opened for private devotion and/or public worship provided that:
- No more than 50 people are present including the officiant;
- All present COVID-19 safety protocols are followed including social distancing, facemask wearing, COVID self-assessment and contact tracing registration.
2021 Chrism Mass
Given our present situation and that in Canada the CCCB has left it to Ordinaries to decide whether to transfer the date of the Chrism Mass, we are presently planning to celebrate the 2021 Mass of Chrism at the Basilica on Monday May 17th at 7:00 p.m. Further details on this celebration and other social and spiritual events that may take place in conjunction with the Chrism Mass will be provided at a later date.
Sincerely yours in Christ,